Stress can be both physically and emotionally overwhelming and has been linked to many medical and mental health issues. Here are 7 tips to help you nip stress in the bud:
1) Connect with others – Seek out support from family, friends and pets.
2) Manage your time – Take the time to write out a to-do list. As you complete the tasks on your list, cross them off and pat yourself on the back.
3) Avoid unhealthy coping – Just say no to relying on alcohol, drugs, or smoking as they only provide temporary relief without addressing the source of your stress.
4) Get some exercise – Hiking, salsa dancing, boxing. Whatever you prefer, pick something you love and get moving.
5) Mental imagery – Take some time to visualize yourself conquering a difficult situation. What would that look like and how would you feel?
6) Get some rest – Sleep deprivation can lead to irritability and increase overall stress. Wind down 1 hour prior to bedtime by doing things that relax you like reading a soothing book or drinking a cup of hot tea.
7) Set goals – Jot down a few short or long term goals for yourself and post them up where you can see them each morning.
Try one or all of these tips. Your mind and body will thank you for it!